British, Modern Restaurants in Glasgow
1. Cail Bruich British, Modern restaurant in Glasgow 725 Great Western Rd - G12
“Really carefully thought out and extremely well executed dishes” – “some of the best in Scotland” – “showcase the best of Scottish produce” at Paul & Chris Charalambous’s under-the-radar, yet exceptional West End outfit. “Even when a dish is a little challenging – such as a pre-dessert of white asparagus parfait with black olive meringue and marinated strawberries – when eaten the combination was a delicious revelation”. “A slight refresh to the décor has worked well, though there’s not much they can do about the unprepossessing exterior”.
2. Alchemilla British, Modern restaurant in Glasgow 1126 Argyle Street - G3
This four-year-old modern bistro “on Finneston’s eating strip” has won renown as one of the city’s better dining destinations. All reports are full of the highest praise for “small dishes bursting with flavour” and food that “genuinely melts in the mouth”.
3. The Gannet British, Modern restaurant in Glasgow 1155 Argyle St - G3
Peter McKenna & Ivan Stein’s stripped-back Finnieston venture has made waves since opening six years back; “the cooking (modern British) is perhaps more serious here than the bare-brick walls décor suggests” (being “full of interesting small dishes, but not too ‘out there’”). In fact, more than one reporter notes “it deserves a Michelin star” such is the quality of the food but – perhaps as prices are not supercheap – stops short of awarding it full marks for value.
4. Singl End restaurant in Glasgow 265 Renfrew Street - G3
“Raising the standard for breakfast in Glasgow” – this “fantastic indie café” in Garnethill doesn’t just serve “excellent coffee” and “great food” with “everything fresh and clearly made on the premises”. It also provides “very right-on ethical packaging for take-way with everything biodegradable”. There’s also a branch in Merchant City at 15 St John Street.
6. Bilson Eleven British, Modern restaurant in Glasgow 9 Annfield Place - G31
Occupying a 19th Century East End townhouse, this Dennistoun establishment has been restored by chef-patron Nick Reitz.
7. Public House by Nico British, Modern restaurant in Glasgow 333 Great Western Road - G4
British gastropub classics - and Sunday Roasts, of course - from prolific chef Nico Simeone.
8. The Ivy Buchanan Street British, Modern restaurant in Glasgow 106 Buchanan Street - G1
Opened in summer 2019 after the survey’s conclusion, Glasgow’s outpost of the ever-growing brasserie chain (in the works since 2017), is housed in a former Nationwide bank and features over 220 covers, plus two bars, a private dining space and ‘Parisian-style outdoor seating’.
9. Unalome British, Modern restaurant in Glasgow 36 Kelvingrove St - G3
Due to open in February 2021, on the former site of Sisters restaurant, chef Graeme Cheevers (previously head chef at Isle of Eriska) is opening his first solo restaurant, hoping to impress the tyre men.
10. Locker Hyndland British, Modern restaurant in Glasgow 29 Clarence Drive - G12
Sister to Locker 1012, a new brunch spot for the West End, which opened following an £80,000 investment and four-month refurbishment.
View full listings of 29 British, Modern Glasgow Restaurants
Popular Glasgow Restaurant Searches
Glasgow Restaurant News