Hardens Guide to the Best Restaurants in County Down
Hardens guides have spent 30 years compiling reviews of the best County Down restaurants. On Hardens.com you'll find details and reviews of 39 restaurants in County Down and our unique survey based approach to rating and reviewing County Down restaurants gives you the best insight into the top restaurants in every area and of every type of cuisine.
Featured County Down Restaurants
1. Noble Irish restaurant in Holywood 27a Church Rd - BT18
“An amazing local eatery where you can always guarantee to find awesome local food cooked to perfection, and exceptional front of house staff” – so say fans of Pearson Morris and Saul McConnel’s small modern bistro above the Iona health food store.
2. Jean-Christophe Novelli at City Quays French restaurant in Belfast 21 Clarendon Road - BT1
2018 Review: Celebrity chef JC Novelli brings his name to the restaurant at Belfast City Quay’s new £25 million Marriott Hotel, planned for April 2018. The site will feature double-height windows with views across the Lagan and a French-style brasserie menu.
3. The Boat House British, Modern restaurant in Bangor 1a, Seacliff Rd - BT20
2017 Review: On the marina, this sleekly converted former harbourmaster’s building now offers an “unforgettable experience” for diners, taking in “exquisite wine pairings” and a “relaxed” fine dining ambience; staff are “fantastically cool” and “the chef/owner even delivers and explains some of his dishes to the table!”
4. Cyprus Avenue British, Modern restaurant in Belfast 228 Upper Newtownards Road - BT4
On the fringe of east Belfast's foodie hub, Ballyhackamore, a sharing plates venture with an ambitiously modern menu. Look out for seafood specials, inventive cocktails and Sunday lunch.
5. Guilt Trip Sandwiches, cakes, etc restaurant in Belfast 4 Orangefield Lane - BT5
This trendy coffee and donut shop in east Belfast attracts queues that would be more at home in east London. A welcome addition to Castlereagh, which is a bit of a dining desert.
6. Coppi Piccolo Sandwiches, cakes, etc restaurant in Belfast 307 Upper Newtownards Road - BT4
A café version of the Cathedral Quarter's Coppi, serving sandwiches, coffee and an unconventional range of cakes (chocolate and olive oil anyone?). Situated in east Belfast's foodie Ballyhackamore, a stone's throw from its sister restaurant Il Pirata.
7. Brunel’s Irish restaurant in Newcastle 32 Downs Road - BT33
2019 Review: “Since moving to a fab larger premises this wee gem has gone from strength to strength”. That’s the early feedback on Paul Cunningham’s recently relocated rural venue (which moved from being above the nearby Anchor Bar last year): “delicious seasonal cooking from an award-winning chef. One to watch”.
8. Bia Rebel Japanese restaurant in Belfast 409 Ormeau Road - BT7
Northern Ireland's "only real ramen shop", serving handmade noodles and broths made from the best local ingredients. "Slurping is mandatory."
9. Six by Nico International restaurant in Belfast 23-31 Waring Street - BT1
This mini-chain from chef Nico Simeone (also in Glasgow and Edinburgh) serves a signature six-course tasting menu, which changes every six weeks (in style, cuisine and inspiration), served to 66 diners.
10. Fish City Fish & seafood restaurant in Belfast 33 Ann Street - BT1
This colourful, three-storey spot is Belfast’s only sustainable seafood restaurant; enjoy Irish seafood, local Carlingford oysters or fish 'n' chips.
View full listings of 39 County Down Restaurants
Popular County Down Restaurant Searches
County Down Restaurant News
Top County Down Restaurants
Hot Newcomers & Coming Soon
Jean-Christophe Novelli at City Quays