British, Traditional Restaurants in Essex
1. The Square and Compasses British, Traditional restaurant in Fairstead Fuller Street - CM3
“Good cooking, with locally sourced ingredients that will not break the bank” attracts solid feedback for this mid-1600s inn, which has held on to attractive original features and taps nearby estates for its hearty game-centric fare (villagers themselves contribute the vegetables).
2. The Fox & Goose British, Traditional restaurant in Chelmsford Wyses Road, Cooksmill Green - CM1
Sibling to Folly Bistro in East Hanningfield (and with The Bakehouse coffee shop right next door); this Essex pub offers several dining areas - a mixture of old and new, including a lovely garden with a view for summer - and seasonal British gastropub fare.
3. The Pipe of Port British, Traditional restaurant in Southend-on-Sea 84 High St - SS1
This atmospheric bar and wine merchant – mahogany tables, sawdust floors – is “famous for its pies, but they also take their wines seriously and have a great selection to choose from” (40 wines by the glass and 150 by the bottle). Top Tip – “Watch out for their regular wine events and supper nights.”
4. Five Bells British, Modern restaurant in Colne Engaine 7 Mill Ln - CO6
2018 Review: Limited but upbeat feedback on this pub and restaurant in a village overlooking the Colne Valley, on the Essex/Suffolk borders, which wins praise as an all-round good-value destination; lovely garden in summer.
5. Galvin Green Man British, Traditional restaurant in Great Waltham Howe St - CM3
The Galvin brothers’ “very busy” fourteenth-century pub out in rural Essex – with glazed dining area attached – is particularly “good if the weather’s nice and you can sit outside” but inside can become “too noisy due to the lack of sound-deadening furnishings”. All reports, though, agree the cooking is “superb”. “There is always something going on, and one of their excellent regular events is a monthly food book club, featuring guest chefs”.
6. The Blue Strawberry International restaurant in Hatfield Peverel The Street - CM3
“I can always guarantee a special occasion that is fabulous and memorable”, declared a regular who recently celebrated his 60th birthday at this destination of two decades’ standing, just off the A12. Feedback has dwindled in recent times, however, so we’ve left a new rating till the next Diners Poll.
View full listings of 10 British, Traditional Essex Restaurants
Popular Essex Restaurant Searches
Essex Restaurant News
Top Essex Restaurants
Hot Newcomers & Coming Soon