Hardens Guide to the Best Restaurants in London Richmond Upon Thames
Hardens guides have spent 30 years compiling reviews of the best Richmond Upon Thames restaurants. On Hardens.com you'll find details and reviews of 14 restaurants in Richmond Upon Thames and our unique survey based approach to rating and reviewing Richmond Upon Thames restaurants gives you the best insight into the top restaurants in every area and of every type of cuisine.
Featured Richmond Upon Thames Restaurants
1. Steven Edwards Bingham Riverhouse British, Modern restaurant in Richmond Upon Thames 61-63 Petersham Road - TW10
“A super-pretty location” helps make the dining room of this Richmond boutique hotel – rebranded last year as the Bingham Riverhouse – “unbeatable for a special meal”. To accompany the “lovely ambience”, and “great views over the Thames”, the food is an attraction in itself: “the menu reflects the seasons well and is always delivered to a high standard”.
2. Rick Stein Fish & seafood restaurant in Richmond upon Thames Tideway Yard, 125 Mortlake High St - SW14
“The food may not live up to the hype, but it’s still good, and the overall atmosphere is great”, at the Stein empire’s three-year-old, near Barnes Bridge. Who knows? If it wasn’t named for TV-star Rick, its “decent-but-not-extraordinary fish, simply cooked” might seem more impressive, and might not seem “a little overpriced for what it is”. But, just as was the case when this site was for decades known as the Depot (RIP) “what makes the restaurant is the fabulous Thames view”.
3. M Bar & Grill Twickenham Steaks & grills restaurant in Twickenham Brewery Wharf, Brewery Lane - TW1
Martin Williams’s glossily-glam steakhouses have a touch of Vegas-glitz to their ritzy design, and particularly win nominations as impressive venues for business, boosted by the range of top-quality meat (the highest grades of USDA, Wagyu and Kobe beef) and an extensive wine selection. Since the top man returned to rescue Gaucho as CEO, however, some reporters feel “it’s lost its way since the wonderful early days”.
4. The Ivy Café British, Modern restaurant in Richmond upon Thames 9 Hill Street - TW9
“Trading on The Ivy’s name, but nothing like the real thing”: outlets of Richard Caring’s sub-sub-brand are “squarely bistro in nature” and proving less successful than their brasserie namesakes in capturing diners’ affections. True, some do tout them as a “dependable if unexciting” choice, but – lacking the pizzazz which carries the experience at their grander cousins – the focus falls more on the “bland, by-numbers” food and service that’s “neither here nor there”. Top Tip – “Prefer breakfast to the expensive lunch and dinner options”.
5. The Cloister Coffee House Sandwiches, cakes, etc restaurant in Richmond upon Thames 268 Waldegrave Rd - TW1
From the team behind Brula and Brook Green's Mustard, this family-friendly cafe is set within the gothic masterpiece, Strawberry Hill House; open to the general public as well as visitors.
6. Church Road British, Modern restaurant in Richmond upon Thames 94 Church Road - SW13
The owners of Sonny's (formerly on this site, RIP), Rebecca Mascarenhas and Philip Howard, have named the replacement simply Church Road. Elystan Street alumni Sam Astley-Dean (chef) and Alan Parry (front of house) are in charge.
7. The Marlborough British, Modern restaurant in Richmond upon Thames 46 Friars Stile Road - TW10
A newly refurbished gastropub from Youngs on the outskirts of London in leafy Richmond Hill. It boasts a huge beer garden complete with gazebos and an 'adults-only' al fresco dining table for up to 14 guests.
8. Noush Indian restaurant in Twickenham, Middlesex 68 Richmond Road - TW1
New to the Twickenham dining scene, an elegant Indian street food restaurant; the Chef’s Menu, a five course tasting experience from across India’s regions, comes recommended.
9. Ole & Steen Sandwiches, cakes, etc restaurant in Richmond upon Thames 59 George St - TW9
Fresh from launching in St James's Market in 2017, this Insta-friendly Danish bakery chain opened in the suburbs; there are now eight branches across London.
10. Antipodea Richmond Sandwiches, cakes, etc restaurant in Richmond upon Thames 30 Hill Street - TW9
“An excellently seasoned burger” is typical of the “big portions of rather tasty” food at this popular, “friendly and pleasantly appointed”, all-day modern bistro in Richmond. There are also (less commented-on) branches in Kew, Putney and Notting Hill.
View full listings of 14 Richmond Upon Thames Restaurants
Popular Richmond Upon Thames Restaurant Searches
london Restaurant News
Top Richmond Upon Thames Restaurants
Hot Newcomers & Coming Soon